Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Hiromi - Another Mind (2003)
I've heard a lot about this young Japanese jazz pianist so I finally decided to check out her debut album. I was utterly blown away. The musicianship is unbelievably good to the point where I was wondering whether the musicians were even human. They play with such speed, technicality and aggression yet there are beautiful melodies underneath that weave along to the dictates of the players. Some might say they're trying to accomplish too much too fast, but I think Hiromi and her band are breathing fresh life into a somewhat overdone genre. Just consider "Dancando no Paraiso." That track alone to me is unparalleled in the entire genre of jazz fusion. It's the kind of thing that demonstrates that not only does Hiromi and co. have major chops, but they can hold their own against the titans of the genre including Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Return to Forever. Some may consider this blasphemy and while I don't consider myself a jazz expert at all, I really think she is one of the best in the genre. Please either listen to this album or watch her live clips or both. You will be glued to the edge of your seat.
9.5/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment