Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Huldra - Monuments, Monoliths (2013)
If there's any post-metal band who sounds almost exactly like the much-missed Isis, it is this one. The atmospherics are incredible, and the vocals, both clean and harsh, are excellent if a bit too low in the mix for my taste. Another slight issue I have with it is that some of the heavy parts lack a certain punch and dynamism that Isis were so adept at. Of course, it is probably very unfair to compare Huldra to Isis, but if the former wants to pay homage to the latter then it would been befitting to put more emphasis on refining and intensifying the heavy parts. The clean parts, however, are just great and I have no issues at all with them. But my issues with the album are quite minor, and I see no reason why Isis fans and post-metal fans in general shouldn't enjoy this album. This band shows a whole lot of promise and I expect more great music from them in the future.
9/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment