Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Deathspell Omega - Paracletus (2010)
Having only recently discovered this band and listened to this album, I'm sad I didn't find them earlier. Like Portal, Deathspell Omega make violent, chaotic and utterly unpredictable music only they're a black metal band whereas Portal is more oriented towards death metal. DO's lyrics are some of the most fascinating and intellectual I've heard in metal as they portray an informed theological debate between Christianity and anti-Christianity/Satanism (the band adopt the latter view of course). France is famous for its avant-garde black metal scene and I'm happy to put this band right up alongside one of my other favorites in the scene, Blut Aus Nord. Admittedly, I don't fully get this album after one listen but in my defense, this is so dense and intense that I can hardly be blamed for that. As of now though, it's a very good record from what surely one of the most innovative metal bands around.
9/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment