Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium (2003)
As with my 200th post, my 300th post will celebrate one of my all-time favorite albums. De-Loused basically came out of nowhere and impressed many people, myself included, with its fusion of prog rock with Latin jazz and hardcore. It's a bizarre mixture that, had any other band attempted it, might not have worked but actually did so with great success. Cedric Bixler-Zavala's bombastic, Robert Plant-esque vocals combined with nonsensical lyrics and the even more bombastic music makes for a quite surreal and adventurous album. De-Loused easily places on my top 20 prog rock albums of all time, maybe even my top 10. If you're a prog rock fan and haven't heard this then I assume you've been living under a rock for the past 10 years in which case you should listen to it now. Or if you're looking to introduce someone to prog rock then you can't go wrong with this one.

This review is dedicated to the band itself who recently decided to split up. Terrible loss for music. RIP
10/10



No comments:

Post a Comment